History

South Union Township was formed from Union Township in 1851.

Union Township was created in 1783, one of Fayette County’s original townships. The borough of Uniontown was taken from it in 1796, and a part of Wharton Township was added to it in 1802. In 1851 Union Township was split along the National Road into North Union and South Union townships.